Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

What was your best Christmas present?

I confess. I am a member of a chat board with a bunch of great ladies who are all adoptive moms. We share and help each other with many things that are particularly related to adoption issues that others may not understand. We also just chat; ask each other questions and poke fun at some of life’s issues. (Alright, we poke fun quite a lot at things. But, hey! It’s “fun and educational” so it must be o.k., right?)

One lady on the board asked the other day, “What was your favorite Christmas present and why?” I gave an answer about some nice little thing I got I wasn’t expecting. A good answer, but in my heart it didn’t feel it was the “right” answer. Then about two days after Christmas (while cleaning up some of the big mess from the big day) I looked out the window and figured out what the “right” answer was.

My two year old was giggling and crossing the yard after our cat. Somehow he had gotten our small digital camera and was trying his best to take a picture of the cat. (Years ago I would have fretted over wasted film… thank you Lord for digital!) He had figured out how to press the button, but not quite how to aim the camera in the direction of the subject that you want to take the picture of. I chuckled at his efforts. Then I called my husband on his cell phone in his little work shed to tell him (to think… we used to just yell out the back door when we needed someone!).

....sample of what most his pictures turned out to be...

Well, a few seconds later I see my husband’s head pop out of the shed and start walking towards the camera laden two year old. He called out to get the attention of the little amateur photographer. Next, instead of walking over to take the camera, my husband stops in his tracks, leans down, and strikes a crazy-silly pose for the child to take a picture of (the two year old obliged). Then my husband squats down and stretches his arms out …. You should have seen the smile on both their faces as the two year old ran like the wind to his daddy’s arms and almost knocked him over with a hug. Amazingly, the two year old willingly gave the camera up for his daddy to use.

...he actually got Daddy's feet in the picture...

What a scene. In my mind I visualized a similar scene of redemption for us. We are God’s “two years olds”, if you will. Go ahead and confess it. We DO act like two year olds many times. We constantly are getting into things we shouldn’t and God pops his head out of the shed to get our attention, reminds us of what we should be doing and loves us through it. God loves us so greatly and is just waiting like a Daddy for us to bowl Him over with our love right back.

...the elusive cat...

My favorite gift this year… the smiles?.... the hugs?... the family time?... Those are all great and I really do appreciate them, but not THE best. The best is God’s love and how it affects my family. It makes us different… improves us… helps us… makes us laugh at our mistakes, forgive and try harder. It is our hope and our redemption. I can’t imagine life without God’s love.

So, uh…. What was your favorite gift this year? And how does it affect you?

Romans 5:8 (New International Version)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Psalm 52:8
But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever.
Psalm 136:2
Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Go Zman!!!! I was smiling and so drawn in...but this time..

I HAD TO POST HERE!

Hugs! Praise God! YOu're so right..so often I am that 2 yr old...and God is that hero!

:-)

All hail Him! Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL "picture" of our need and His care!