Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Jealous, Zealous and Suitcases

How can something make you so proud and so sad all in the same moment?
I walk in the bedroom to look at stacks of stuff meticulously packed to use every inch of space possible in the suitcase. All the excitement of getting things ready for another medical trip suddenly makes me realize.... "I'm going to miss that guy while he is gone!" The kids are already hovering around him many times a day and asking when he will get back. Hugs get longer... (Sigh).

It is a strange mix of emotions to say the least. We are extremely proud that MM does what he does. We just are, well... jealous for his time and attention. We long for fellowship with our dad/ husband/ friend/chief breakfast cook/ and dishwasher. (Gotta' love a man not afraid to do dishes.) We are vigilantly protective of our time with him.



Feeling a little guilty of my jealous feelings this morning, I was praying and contemplating that term. The scriptures that kept coming to my mind were the ones proclaiming God as "jealous.” So, I looked them up....

Exodus 34:14 "For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:"

Exodus 20:5 (King James Version)
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God..."

Then being the researcher I am, I had to look up the definition of "jealous." One of the definitions of jealous says... that it is to be "vigilant in protecting something" and "intolerant of disloyalty." The word comes from the Latin word for "ZEAL!" Then it hit me....

Our God is so zealous for our love that He jealously protects it.
We are so zealous for our love for MM that we jealously protect and long for it.

OK... guilt trip over. I am still sending him on an airplane soon to share his talents in another country where people are hurting. However, I feel just fine now knowing that I shall be jealously waiting at the terminal when he gets back with four kids in tow ready to pounce on him with hugs and kisses.

=========
NOTE: several trips heading out in the next couple of weeks, pray for all the teams in the various countries. Check out the www.hopethatheals.org for more details on trips.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Awesome post, Teri! Love this:
"Our God is so zealous for our love that He jealously protects it." So very well said! And then transferring that to how you feel about hubby. Describes it perfectly. So, what does MM stand for? Mister Man?? I'm sure it's not, but I call all my guys around here Mister Man. So, that's what I thought of. lol! Will be praying for you during your separation.

The Lopers said...

MM is short for "Missionary Man." It's in older posts, but I need to post more often!

You are so sweet to comment. I've gotten several emails on the posts. I wondered how people would respond to a term we usually view as a negative word.

Hugs back to you Mrs. Wendy! :o)